Monday, October 1, 2012

Channels State Forest in SWVA

I think it would be only fitting to kick this thing off by sharing my most favorite view to date. A few weeks ago, I got together with my mom and a couple friends and we decided to make the 6 mile round trip hike to the Channels State Forest in Hyter's Gap, VA. For some of you 6 miles may not seem like a lot, but for me it was a huge milestone. There is no doubt in my mind that a year ago today I would have never been able to make the hike. I've been trying my best to live a healthier lifestyle and instill it into my children as well. That included a summer filled with hiking, geocaching, and just spending time outdoors, together. They may not have loved every minute of it, but they didn't complain much either.

For this particular trip I decided my youngest, Batman, was just a bit too young for that long of a hike. I wanted to enjoy it and not have to worry about his comfort and him tiring too quickly. Yes, I said that out loud. Not everything I do is for my children. I love them dearly but sometimes I need my time too. Thunder, my oldest of 9, tagged along, as well as, our two cousins and my friend's daughter. This place was right up their alley, being between the ages of 9-12. A younger child may be able to make the trip, but accomodations would have to be made for them such as more frequently breaks and drinks. I would advise anyone considering this hike with children to know their difficulty level and stamina before you go and plan accordingly. That is true for anyone of any age, actually.

For all of my geocaching friends out there our goal was earth cache GC3TG5Z. This is a long hike, for some, but the change in altitude is dealt with through a series of swtichbacks. The trail is well maintained and not too steep at any one point. The actual trail is the Brumley Mountain trail which runs from Rte. 80 at Hyter's Gap, VA to Hidden Valley Lake in Abingdon, VA. Near the top you will take a left on to the Channels Spur Trail. If you want to complete the trail from end to end it is about 14 miles one way. At this time camping is not allowed along the trail. From the parking area to the Channels there are currently 3 traditional caches and 1 earth cache. We found them all :) The earthcache was actually our 400th cache!

At this point you may be wondering what on earth the Channels are. This brochure can best describe it for you. They are a geological formation of huge limestone rocks with gaps in between them that form channels or a maze-like structure that you can explore and climb on top of. That description simply doesn't do it justice. This is the most amazing place I think I have ever seen, from a geological stand point anyway. It is absolutely beautiful in every way. We all felt like little kids as we spent a good hour walking through the channels and exploring the various colors and patterns in the rocks. The age, the beauty, and even the sense of accomplishment from making the hike were almost overwhelming. From the top of the Channels you can see miles of mountains and valleys. If that wasn't enough, there was an old firetower, and the remains of the care taker's cabin too. The fire tower and the cabin aren't in the best shape and for safety reasons I would not advise trying to enter either, but they both serve as the remains of the rich history that surrounds Southwest VA.

A previous caretaker and writer for our local newspaper, Jack Kestner, wrote a book based on his experiences living in the cabin and manning the tower during the 1960s. The book entitled simply Firetower is available through Clinch Mountain Press. I have not had an opportunity to read the book, but it's something I plan on doing soon. I was excited to find, what I believe are, his initials carved into the cement at the base of the tower. I can only imagine the solitary life that he, and the other caretakers, led while manning the towers in the area.  

So on with the views:

Jack's Initials maybe?


Firetower
Caretaker's cabin
Perspective
 
Rock Formations
Sunlight Through the Cracks
Old Man of the Channels....can you see him?
See how huge they are?
View from the top.
Beautiful Clouds
Another amazing view!
Perfect Weather




No comments:

Post a Comment